Tag Archives: recipe
3 pounds (1 1/2 kilograms) fish filets
3 tablespoons oil
6 cloves garlic
1 bell pepper
1 1/2 cup coconut milk
2 tablespoons tamarind paste or lemon juice
3 teaspoons garam masala or curry powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut fish into serving-sized portions.
2. Chop onion, bell pepper, garlic and tomatoes.
3. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large pot. Sear fish fillets shortly and put them on a separate plate. Do not cook through.
4. Reduce heat to minimum and add pepper and onion. Sauté until onion is semitransparent. Add garlic and sauté for two more minutes. Add tomatoes and bring mixture to a boil.
5. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Add fish filets. Cover pot and simmer until fish is cooked through; this should take approximately 10 minutes.
8. Serve with rice, boiled potatoes, chapatti, or boiled cassava.
Makes four to six servings.
2 cups of Flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup warm water
1. Sift flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Make a well in the middle and add warm water to make a somewhat stiff dough, moistening your hands frequently as needed.
2. Shape dough into a ball; cover bowl with a damp cloth and let stand for 30 minutes and up to 12 hours.
3. Divide dough into eight pieces and roll each out into a flat, round disk.
4. Heat a large creased griddle or frying pan over medium until it is hot. Cook each chapatti until golden; when you see tiny bubbles it’s time to turn them over. It should take about a minute for each chapatti to cook. Press them down with a wide pancake turner or clean towel to cook evenly. Serve hot. Spread a pat of butter or margarine on each chapatti if you wish.
— Roopa Khanna